Autumn 2013

Right that’s the summer over with, now I can get on with some real work without the distractions of other things (like holidays and playing with children, all that enjoyable stuff that gets in the way of progress)…

With few major jobs (painting, boxing in – nasty stuff!) left inside, mainly fiddly things that need finishing off, my thoughts are turning to outside. I’ve not done much outside since I laid the flag-stone patio in 2011, so plenty of attention is needed.

The hedge and further away the woodland that separates the barn from the field need attention in the form of clearing back and thinning out. I also (as ever) need to tidy up the yard, there’s still a lot of stone both dressed and raw stored out there. I’ll also need to build a new wood store. Once cleared there’ll be a space just begging to be filled by a shed.

I had every intention of saving up and buying myself a shed. However, sheds appear to be one of those products where you either pay through the nose from a reputable supplier or have to deal with shoddy suppliers, shoddy quality and potentially dodgy sales practices if you go for the more ‘reasonable’ end of the market. Thus put-off I remembered a leaflet that I picked up at the Royal Welsh Show earlier in the year relating to a week long training course in timber framing that is run relatively locally to me. So for now that’s my plan – to build my own.

In researching timber framing I came across an introduction to timber framing published by my alma mater, the University of the West of England (or Bristol Poly as I’m proud to say it was in my day).

More on the course and my plans as they evolve…

Building Progress ~ September 2011

Update on building progress during July 2011…

With a week in Cornwall and no major pieces of work spurring me on, progress in September has been pretty lack-lustre…

The Juliet balcony is completed, I even finished off the heads of the bolts with small black covers for a neat and tidy job.

I fixed, finished and sealed the skirting boards in the second bedroom, now they just need a coat of paint.

I’m building some short, 12 inch wide ‘platforms’ that I’ll use to box-in the pipework in the bathroom. They are basically wooden frames, with painted wood sides and a slate and mosaic tiled top. I’ve made them so wide so that they can accommodate toiletries, makeup bags and the like and so provide somewhere other the floor to keep such items.

I’ve also finished grouting the rest of the bathroom tiling. I’ve used some sealant from (! amateurism alert !) Homebase for sealing the splashback. It gives a far gentler, less gloss finish than the professional product I’ve been using previously. I prefer the less glossy, thinner finish although it won’t be anything as like as hard-wearing, but should be fine for a splashback.

I’ve also been trying to get the back-lit mirror working in the ensuite… Working with electricity definitely needs to go on my list of ‘leave it to the professionals’ along with plumbing. I have voltage in the cables, but the light won’t come on… already been back to the drawing-board a couple of times and I think another visit is necessary.

With most of the work being done by S we’ve started putting fencing around the shed in the field. This is one of those overdue jobs that has risen to the top of the ‘to-do’ list spurred on by the latest inhabitants of the field – three large and feisty horses with a taste for satellite dish LNBs and banging heads against my slightly flimsy shed doors. Should be finished soon…