Building Progress in June 2012

Update on building progress during June 2012…

The seemingly eternal internal door frame painting continues. They’re going to take undercoat plus two coats of eggshell to give a finish that I’m happy with. The prepainted architraves probably don’t need the second coat, but the raw wood frames certainly need the three coats.

From Materials

The utility room is now fully painted and I’ve added a splash of colour to the small dressing area between the main bedroom and the ensuite bathroom. It’s a Farrow & Ball colour called brassica, a brown / purple colour (probably a bit like cabbage juice which doesn’t make it sound very attractive) which I think has real depth and strength and that complements the slate tiling in the ensuite. I’ll probably paint a wall in the ensuite with it as well.

All tiling is now finished, having cleaned the splash-back in the utility room and the final piece of tiling in the ensuite bathroom. I’ve left off treating them with any kind of heavy duty sealant, both are in low usage areas and I think the untreated finish is far nicer.

Grass continues to be a major challenge, the rain both making it grow wildly and dissuading me from attempting to cut it means that things are getting a bit ‘jungly’ out there.

I’m still in the process of getting my EPC sorted out.

Painting…

I’ve been doing a lot of painting recently…

I’ve been doing a lot of painting recently. I like to take the opportunity to take an occasional photo to break up the monotony, otherwise, it’s all a bit like watching paint dry at the same time as slapping new paint on…

From Barn Conversion 2012

I’m quite pleased with my purple / brown / gray dressing area…

From Materials

…an interesting colour that ‘in the flesh’ looks nothing like the colour on the photograph and varies throughout the day under differing lighting.

I feel there’ll be more fascinating paint related posts coming soon (sorry!)…

The Fallen Bough

Earlier in the year, with much help from a neighbour I cut-down a partly fallen bough from the large Scots pine tree that stands at the top of the yard.

Earlier in the year, with much help from a neighbour I cut-down a partly fallen bough from the large Scots pine tree that stands at the top of the yard. It was damaged during a storm last autumn when high winds caused a large bough from about two-thirds of the way up the tree to break and partially fall.

I was going to go into a long, lengthy and inevitably dull narrative about how we dealt with it, but I think the following three pictures tell the story far better. I’ll just add that pictures of a Land Rover, lengths of rope pinging under stress and an ably wielded chainsaw could have been inserted between the second and third pictures, if anyone had thought to take them…

From Barn Conversion 2012
From Barn Conversion 2012
From Barn Conversion 2012

Building Progress ~ May 2012

Update on building progress during May 2012…

Thin pickings at the barn.

Slightly, thin pickings to report again for May.

I’ve continued with painting the internal door frames. I’m using the really lovely Little Greene oil based undercoat and eggshell paint. It’s really nice paint to work with, coats well with a just-right, single cream consistency. I can still make a great mess with it, drips abound and they’ve not yet managed to get the skin-repellent attributes of this paint correct – I still get it all over my hands and arms…

The door frames themselves have taken a lot of preparation as I’ve filled nail and knot holes and used caulk to fill any gaps between pieces of timber. I think they’ll look good once completed.

With the brushes out and with my mind turned toward painting, I also got around to painting the utility room which still retained its unpainted plaster walls. Earthborn Claypaint another favourite product of mine was the order of the day here.

On the tiling front, I finished grouting the splash-back in the utility room and the final piece of tiling in the ensuite bathroom. Those two just need cleaning and treating before they can be considered the finished article.

Grass has been a major challenge. The grass seed & fertiliser my brother provided for me is providing enough growth to keep a small herd of Friesians happy. My poor lawn mower simply can’t cope without me pushing down on the back of mower and the front wheels hovering six inches above the ground. I managed to hack my way through it a few weekends ago, a job to be repeated again shortly.