Building Regulations, Approved Documents – Part C Site preparation and resistance to contaminants and moisture

An overview of Building Regulations, Approved Documents – Part C Site preparation and resistance to contaminants and moisture

Part C is about ensuring that the site for new buildings is prepared in a manner that will promote resistance to contaminants and moisture for the structure that is to be built on the site.

As of the date of writing, Part C was last revised in 2010 as a result of the Building Regulations 2010.

There are a number of subjects that fall within this part of the regulations. These include weather and water tightness, drainage and measures to deal with contamination and hazardous substances such as radon and methane.

Part C Site preparation and resistance to contaminants and moisture contain the following high-level requirements:

  • C1 Preparation of site and resistance to contaminants
  • C2 Resistance to moisture

There are three key aspects in the preparation of the site – that the site to be covered by the building & associated land is free from materials that might damage the building such as pre-existing foundations or vegetable matter, be free of contaminants and provide adequate drainage.

The regulations provide helpful information related to undertaking a risk assessment of contaminants and a high-level overview of some of the remedial measures that are available.

One potential contaminant that we all need to consider when building is radon. It’s not a major issue in most of the UK; the south-west is the area most at risk, but one we all need to consider. Start on the British Geological Survey website.

The second part of the regulation, that dedicated to discussion of resistance to moisture contains useful information related to site surveying, subsoil drainage and the construction of resistant floors, walls & roofs. A useful map confirms what we knew all along, that most of Wales is exposed to very severe driving rain. What would we in Wales do without the blessed rain…?

After #2… Land drains around the unpaved parts of the barn

Following on from my post about lots of befores that comprised of pictures of locations before I started work on them I’ve been getting on to some afters, here are some more…

Land drains around the unpaved parts of the barn

From Barn Conversion 2011
Shovelling all that 40mm clean stone nearly killed me, but that’s another story…

Building Progress ~ July 2011

Update on building progress during July 2011…

I got plenty of work done outside this month…

…The new lawn certainly takes some cutting, first a hack job with the strimmer then a slightly more ‘styled’ finish with a borrowed mower.

…Edging / retaining walls added around the north facing gable end and much of the garden side wall. I also cleaned out and re-established the land-drain that runs around these two sides and refilled it with 40mm clean stone (which is bloody hard work to shovel).

…I finished painting the windows at last, now all undercoated and finished with the final lightish sage / green.

…I’ve concreted in and then lime pointed the kitchen step. It seems to work well as no-one who has used it has noticed it! A step is only something you’ll really notice if it doesn’t work properly.

…Whilst I was away, H the next door neighbour and a hired machine scrapped the top layer of stone and soil from the yard between the barns. Then six tonnes of bought top soil and somewhere around a tonne that I dug out from the ground at the north facing gable end was spread a couple of inches deep to provide a base for a lawn. I then sowed with grass seed and fertiliser. A football pitch for T & T is sprouting between the barns as I type.

Work has further progressed on the second bedroom. I managed to change the hinge on the window with some help from S. The original didn’t open to 90 degrees therefore didn’t allow proper egress as specified by building reg’s. A replacement ordered on the internet seems to fit the bill. I also installed a radiator cover as a step-up to the escape window (we won’t worry about the drop from the first floor onto concrete once you ‘escape’!).

Building Progress ~ January 2011

Update on building progress during January 2011…

Snow, snow, snow…

A new year and back to my old tricks of being very late with updates. In my defence I’ve already mentioned that I’ve been working on the drainage and tidying up the back of the barn though my great wall which has occupied much of my time over the month. A ton and a half of stone later and we’re getting there, although I’ll need to continue around the back off the barn with the tidying up.

I also made a start in putting in a low retaining wall to the garden side of the path that leads from the back door through the gap in the wall that I sweated to create three and a half years ago (time flies!). More details on that in shortly…

A little bit of tinkering around inside, filing gaps and generally tidying things up and that’s February done…