Building Progress ~ September 2011

Update on building progress during July 2011…

With a week in Cornwall and no major pieces of work spurring me on, progress in September has been pretty lack-lustre…

The Juliet balcony is completed, I even finished off the heads of the bolts with small black covers for a neat and tidy job.

I fixed, finished and sealed the skirting boards in the second bedroom, now they just need a coat of paint.

I’m building some short, 12 inch wide ‘platforms’ that I’ll use to box-in the pipework in the bathroom. They are basically wooden frames, with painted wood sides and a slate and mosaic tiled top. I’ve made them so wide so that they can accommodate toiletries, makeup bags and the like and so provide somewhere other the floor to keep such items.

I’ve also finished grouting the rest of the bathroom tiling. I’ve used some sealant from (! amateurism alert !) Homebase for sealing the splashback. It gives a far gentler, less gloss finish than the professional product I’ve been using previously. I prefer the less glossy, thinner finish although it won’t be anything as like as hard-wearing, but should be fine for a splashback.

I’ve also been trying to get the back-lit mirror working in the ensuite… Working with electricity definitely needs to go on my list of ‘leave it to the professionals’ along with plumbing. I have voltage in the cables, but the light won’t come on… already been back to the drawing-board a couple of times and I think another visit is necessary.

With most of the work being done by S we’ve started putting fencing around the shed in the field. This is one of those overdue jobs that has risen to the top of the ‘to-do’ list spurred on by the latest inhabitants of the field – three large and feisty horses with a taste for satellite dish LNBs and banging heads against my slightly flimsy shed doors. Should be finished soon…

Building Progress ~ August 2011

Update on building progress during July 2011…

The mediocre weather has allowed the outdoor work to continue…

…I cut the new lawn again, there are some really tricky patches that need the strimmer or a mountain goat to keep short.

…I cut a narrow channel along the wall side of the concrete gas bottle platform. I had some concern that the platform was above the internal floor level, so the channel, backfilled with 40mm stone should sort that out. Internally there’s never been any damp and so I’m cautious not to create any.

From Barn Conversion 2011

The juliet balcony I ordered – made locally by British steel so it was bound to take a while to be delivered (!) – was eventually delivered and we fitted it. It took a big drill and some very ropey ‘home-grown’ scaffolding to get it fixed into place but very fine it looks now…

I also built the garden steps. The bank up to the lawn is steep and with small children hurtling about the place I thought that a safer way to get up onto the lawn was in order. I also had an old beam from inside the barn that’s been clutterng up the yard to dispose of. It’s a softwood beam that had sat decaying for the last few years. So it was cut up into six pieces, then each step treated on the underside and cemented into place. I then drove some small tree stakes into the ground to support the front-face of each step. I used some 20mm and 40mm clean stone I had left over from the drainage work to fill the gaps and the ‘treads’. All seems pretty firm – we’ll see how well they survive the winter.

From Barn Conversion 2011