Got a conversion to do? Building project? Got questions? Need Answers? Offering a product or service? Visit our forum...

My Barn Conversion

Login

canadian pharmacy
About | Shop | Privacy | Forum | Gallery | Contact Us

Re-pointing advice

Home Forums Materials Re-pointing advice

This topic contains 2 voices and has 1 reply.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

siani03
    Subscriber

Hi there,

I found your website whilst trawlling the internet for advice on re-pointing and saw the fab job you’ve done on your barn.

I have just started re-pointing my barn and have come up with a problem or atleast an issue that I need a bit of advice on.

My first attempt looks good as far as the pointing is concerned but even though I have been careful not to get any cement on the front of the stone they still have got covered in a chalky residue- I thought no problem I’ll just wash it off after I’ve finished. However, when I tried to wash the stones with a scrubbing brush when the stones are wet they look great but as soon as they dry the whitish residue is back. I have then tried to brush it off whilst dry using a soft brush but this doesn’t really do anything. So then I’ve gone for the wire brush- now this does work but what a job. Luckily I have only done about 2m2 so it’s do-able, but the thought of having to this process to the whole barn is very daunting.

My question is (if anyone can help) how do I keep the stones “clean” whilst I’m putting in the mortar?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

July 20, 2011 at 10:34 am #5482

mbc
    Key Master

hmmm, no easy answers I’m afraid. You get neater as you get more experienced, if that’s any consolation!

A wire brush is the only method I’ve used and found to work. Alternatives are various acid cleaners, but I avoid those except for cleaning grout.

Also, always make sure you clean down the wall whilst pointing. Damp down well before working, remove excess mortar from the joints and wash down the masonry with clean water as much as possible. I know it’s tricky to keep clean water at hand all the time, but it does save time later on.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.