Got a conversion to do? Building project? Got questions? Need Answers? Offering a product or service? Visit our forum...

My Barn Conversion


canadian pharmacy
About | Shop | Privacy | Forum | Gallery | Contact Us

More head height required

Home Forums Design & Architecture More head height required

This topic contains 2 voices and has 1 reply.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
  • February 23, 2012 at 2:02 pm #4136


    Hi there, we are embarking on a barn conversion and the existing roof structure is supported by A shape roof supports, the cross bar of the A is currently at waist height and we would like to loose these as they restrict the layout of the first floor. Can anyone avise the type of roof structure we need to look for and perhaps some correct terminology for these A shaped things!?

    Many thanks

    March 6, 2012 at 12:23 pm #5492

    Key Master

    They are roof trusses, although A-frame is a pretty well used term so you’re almost there. My Anatomy of a Roof post might help with some of the basic terminology >>

    Sometimes the horizontal bar (the tie-beam) can be raised or they can be replaced with steel cables to provide further headroom, a structural engineer can advise on that.

    If you’re replacing the roof then the roof structure can be changed to move the structural elements and so free up space, either by rearranging the parts of a truss roof or taking a different approach to structural integrity – ‘cut-roofs’ and the like.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.