Got a conversion to do? Building project? Got questions? Need Answers? Offering a product or service? Visit our forum...

My Barn Conversion

Login

canadian pharmacy
About | Shop | Privacy | Forum | Gallery | Contact Us

help with arrow slits

Home Forums Design & Architecture help with arrow slits

This topic contains 2 voices and has 3 replies.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

farmer lydia
    Subscriber

Hi there, me and my partner are working on a barn conversion on our farm. We are doing as much of the work as possible ourselves. We have to build an internal block wall to create a cavity and can’t leave any of the barn walls exposed. We have now built up as far as the arrow slits and are not sure what to do about them. My partner thought the windows would go on the inside, with a wooden frame to match the rest of the windows but I like the idea of glazing them on the outside and having a deep window ledge.

I’ve seen the picture on the website and the arrow slit looks great but I can’t see how the glass is held in place and if it is double glazed. Also, did you use plasterboard and if so did you put damp proof behind it?

Any advice would be welcome. Cheers, Lydia

February 11, 2011 at 1:27 pm #5466

mbc
    Key Master

Lydia,

Mine are unframed glazed units that were fitted to the slits prior to plasterboarding. They were glazed from the inside with the units pushed right back into the opening. They are wedged and ‘stuck’ for want of a better way of putting it in place.

The plasterboard is tight up to the glazing. Yes they are double glazed (building reg’s are fully conformed with ;) ). I guess your blockwork will need to be up to and around the recess with plasterboard and a wooden supporting structure going into the recess.

My structure is studwork rather than blocks with a damp proof membrane behind the stud wall, sandwiched between the new floor and the original wall.

I’ll try and take some clearer photographs this weekend…

February 20, 2011 at 3:24 pm #5467

farmer lydia
    Subscriber

Thanks for the advice. I think we will do something similar to what you have done.

When you wedge (is that a technical term?? Lol) the double glazed unit in, did you use silicon or foam or something to seal it in place? Otherwise I was thinking that water could get in, as the stone around the glass are not uniform and there would be gaps.

When we get upstaird, we have to glaze some owl holes which are round so that will be challenge too I imagine!

Cheers, Lydia

February 21, 2011 at 12:54 pm #5468

mbc
    Key Master

I’ve posted a photo and some more details on the main blog site that may help – ventilation slits detail

Round owl holes sound very interesting indeed…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.