Building Progress ~ August 2011

Update on building progress during July 2011…

The mediocre weather has allowed the outdoor work to continue…

…I cut the new lawn again, there are some really tricky patches that need the strimmer or a mountain goat to keep short.

…I cut a narrow channel along the wall side of the concrete gas bottle platform. I had some concern that the platform was above the internal floor level, so the channel, backfilled with 40mm stone should sort that out. Internally there’s never been any damp and so I’m cautious not to create any.

From Barn Conversion 2011

The juliet balcony I ordered – made locally by British steel so it was bound to take a while to be delivered (!) – was eventually delivered and we fitted it. It took a big drill and some very ropey ‘home-grown’ scaffolding to get it fixed into place but very fine it looks now…

I also built the garden steps. The bank up to the lawn is steep and with small children hurtling about the place I thought that a safer way to get up onto the lawn was in order. I also had an old beam from inside the barn that’s been clutterng up the yard to dispose of. It’s a softwood beam that had sat decaying for the last few years. So it was cut up into six pieces, then each step treated on the underside and cemented into place. I then drove some small tree stakes into the ground to support the front-face of each step. I used some 20mm and 40mm clean stone I had left over from the drainage work to fill the gaps and the ‘treads’. All seems pretty firm – we’ll see how well they survive the winter.

From Barn Conversion 2011

Author: mbc

This is the story of MY barn conversion

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *