Got a conversion to do? Building project? Got questions? Need Answers? Offering a product or service? Visit our forum...

My Barn Conversion

Login

canadian pharmacy
About | Shop | Privacy | Forum | Gallery | Contact Us

Building Progress ~ June 2011

Category: Barn Conversion Journal July 6th, 2011 by mbc

The newly laid lawn is now thick, green and lush, like any overly hirsute youth with a green mop and the need for a good haircut. Shame my lawn mower is currently in pieces and won’t start… I guess the strimmer will have to do.

Pointing is pretty much done – my official announcementis here.

I’ve completed boarding over / boxing in the eaves. I boarded over the gap with black painted plywood screwed to the weather board and wooden blocks that I inserted into the gap between the wall and the weather board. I then filled any large gaps between the boards and the wall with expanding foam and then pointed all along the join between the boards and the wall. I then repainted those areas where the mortar had spilt over onto the boards (although I’m not 100% happy with some areas where the paintwork isn’t so tidy) and put mesh over the open ends of the weather-boards to allow some airflow.

We’ve also completed painting the second bedroom and I’ve laid the oak flooring. At least I know that the flooring was well acclimatised as it’s been sitting around ready to be fitted for 18 months now. I managed to fit it in a day and thanks to my knee protectors all the kneeling didn’t cripple me as fitting the landing floor had with unprotected knees. Quite pleased to have a second bedroom, rather than a one bedroom house with a junk / store room.

At long last I’ve also tidied up the cables from the satellite dish that ran along the foot of the yard side gable-end. I housed the cables in some standard white trunking placed along the space where I’d hacked away the old lime mortar at the bottom of the lime-washed wall then used lime mortar to seal in the trunking and tidy up the bottom of the wall.

If you enjoyed that post, then read these…

Lucious Lime
After my ‘introduction to lime’ course I have a great fear that I may be joining the ranks of sustainable / healthy / traditional / vernacular building fanatics – those…

category: ‘Barn Conversion Journal

Travertine tiling – pictures
As promised on my update for July, here are some early pictures of the downstairs tiling as it goes in.

tag: ‘Progress

Building Progress ~ November 2011
We completed the fencing around the shed in November – the gate latches and catches are all in place.

category: ‘Barn Conversion Journal

Posted in Barn Conversion Journal | No Comments » « Leave Yours
Tags: , ,

Leave a Comment

Please note: Comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment.