Got a conversion to do? Building project? Got questions? Need Answers? Offering a product or service? Visit our forum...

My Barn Conversion

Login

canadian pharmacy
About | Shop | Privacy | Forum | Gallery | Contact Us

Building Progress ~ October 2009

Category: Barn Conversion Journal November 9th, 2009 by mbc

Ah, October – seems like a long time ago now…

I’ve stalled in finishing treating the untreated oak stairs and banisters the banisters along the landing have all been whitened & waxed, but the stairs themselves along with the banisters still need finishing. I managed (mistakenly) to wax one of the posts before whitening it and the colour difference was quite noticeable, thankfully a quick sanding brought things back to where I wanted them.

In the kitchen the cooker is now in (well almost, the gas just needs connecting) and I’ve got the cooker hood ready for installation – that will be fun. Every job involving attaching something to the plasterboard walls gives me ongoing nightmares at the thought of collapsing walls and gapping voids.

I’ve started work (another job not yet finished) on putting in skirting boards in the main room downstairs. I’m quite surprised by the difference they make, adding a cherry on the cake type finishing touch to the room. I’ve taken the easy route in fixing them to the walls that everyone else seems to follow (an opinion formed following extensive internet searches), namely using adhesive or sealant in my case rather than anything more permanent. The reason I’ve not finished is that the Wickes shop I normally go to has had none in stock since my original visit … as valid an excuse as any.

I’ve also started boxing in the pipes in the bathrooms. There’s a fair bit of this to do as the layout of both changed quite a lot as appliances were moved around to fit. It took me the best part of a Saturday to cover half of the shower waste pipe in the en-suite. I lost count of how many pieces of wood I cut and it’s still not finished after a split decision on whether to use skirting boards as part of the boxing or not. Another one for the to-be-finished list… must knock some of these on the head in November.

If you enjoyed that post, then read these…

Lime Analysis
Inspired to analyse the composition of my mortar, I improvised and placed a lump of mortar that I’d levered out of my wall in the strongest acid I could lay…

category: ‘Barn Conversion Journal

Big Metal Shed
I’ve been at the barn for a few days, digging holes, hitting things with hammers & lugging things around with a wheelbarrow – my builder competency level is somewhere around…

category: ‘Barn Conversion Journal

Building Progress ~ February 2008, week 4
We have walls. Well at least partially, the partition walls have started to be built in the kitchen, to form a utility / services room & a small WC and upstairs,…

tag: ‘Progress

Posted in Barn Conversion Journal | No Comments » « Leave Yours
Tags:

Leave a Comment

Please note: Comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment.