Got a conversion to do? Building project? Got questions? Need Answers? Offering a product or service? Visit our forum...

My Barn Conversion

Login

canadian pharmacy
About | Shop | Privacy | Forum | Gallery | Contact Us

Lime Pointing ~ Summer 2008

Category: Barn Conversion Journal July 5th, 2008 by mbc

last weekend's raking out
last weekend’s raking out

In what seems to be an annual event, I’ve restarted repointing the exterior of the barn.

When working with lime you have to take a break over the cold, wet winter months – it’s taken me this long to get restarted.

This time, I’ve taken a more scientific approach and attempted to work out how longs it’s going to take.

Last weekend I managed to hack / rake out the old pointing from an area 180cm by 190cm = 3.42m2…that took me just around 3.5 hours, so my hacking out rate = 1 square meter per hour.

I reckon my repointing is slightly quicker – perhaps 45 minutes a square meter. Add to that preparation of the fresh lime mortar taking one hour for every five hours pointing and final cutting back and tidying up of 15 minutes a square meter.

With a total of around 70m2 to complete that works out as:

hacking out rate = 1 hour x 70m2 = 70 hours
repointing = 45 minutes x 70m2 = 52.5 hours
mortar preparation = 52.5 hours / 5 = 10.5 hours
finishing = 70m2 * 15 minutes = 17.5 hours
Total = 150.5 hours

Better stop writing about it and get on with it…

If you enjoyed that post, then read these…

Building Progress ~ February 2008, week 3
Things are moving along at a pace now as the first floor is in and the upstairs partitions are about to go in.

category: ‘Barn Conversion Journal

Lime Pointing ~ Summer 2008 … part 2
With a set of plans and my ruler I set out to check the figures I’d put together earlier in the Summer when working out how much repointing work I…

tag: ‘lime mortar

Attention to detail… May 2009 update
You (still) can’t beat a good list (see the bottom of this post for the previous ones) – this is the current position: In Progress Flooring and tiling We’ve bought slate wall…

category: ‘Barn Conversion Journal

Posted in Barn Conversion Journal | 1 Comment » « Leave Yours
Tags:

One Response

  1. Lime Pointing ~ Summer 2008 … part 2 | my barn conversion Says:

    […] With a set of plans and my ruler I set out to check the figures I’d put together earlier in the Summer when working out how much repointing work I have to do. […]

Leave a Comment

Please note: Comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment.